Weird stuffs?

tincan

Weird stuffs?

Post by tincan »

I'm sorta new at Mudlet, but I was a longtime zMud player -- but I'm coming back to muds after over a decade. And, to be honest, I typically play when I'm a bit not sober, so please inform me if I'm just missing something completely obvious.

That being said, I'm finding more and more that my triggers and aliases just seem to quit working at random. Also, when I click on triggers or aliases in the menu when I try to pull them up to see if they're coded right (which really, I know they are because they've all worked before), the checkbox disappears from them. So then I click the "activate" button from the menu, and it tells me "trying to deactivate <alias/trigger> [name]". And then the tick next to them disappears until I click the "activate" button again. Sometimes the alias/trigger works afterwards, but it seems to not... at least tonight. (I've encountered this before and sometimes it works.)

The quick and easy fix is to just close the client and not save anything, but it's really getting annoying.

Is there something I'm doing that causes this? Or is it a client thing?
I was sane once. I got better.

Tesagk

Re: Weird stuffs?

Post by Tesagk »

tincan wrote:I'm sorta new at Mudlet, but I was a longtime zMud player -- but I'm coming back to muds after over a decade. And, to be honest, I typically play when I'm a bit not sober, so please inform me if I'm just missing something completely obvious.
It can be an intimidating change. But, Mudlet is better, strictly speaking, than zMud so I'm glad you're giving it a chance. Mudlet can be a bit difficult, so playing while not-sober could be a cause of many of the issues you're seeing. My suggestion: Even if you platy while not-sober, try to check in when you are sober, just to make sure things make sense.

Because of the complexity that Mudlet can offer, with many triggers and aliases building off of/or outright dependent on others and supporting scripts, a small issue in one area can affect any number of aliases, triggers, buttons, and keys.
tincan wrote: That being said, I'm finding more and more that my triggers and aliases just seem to quit working at random. Also, when I click on triggers or aliases in the menu when I try to pull them up to see if they're coded right (which really, I know they are because they've all worked before), the checkbox disappears from them. So then I click the "activate" button from the menu, and it tells me "trying to deactivate <alias/trigger> [name]". And then the tick next to them disappears until I click the "activate" button again. Sometimes the alias/trigger works afterwards, but it seems to not... at least tonight. (I've encountered this before and sometimes it works.)
Without specifics about the aliases and triggers, it's difficult to say why this is happening to you.

If you're using any of the DISABLE functions, it's possible you're forgetting to RE-ENABLE them. Otherwise, in regard to aliases and triggers that "quit working" you may want to open up the error window (in the script dialog on the left panel towards the bottom) and see if you're getting any errors. This will give a better idea of what's happening and you can feel free to post the error here with the accompanying trigger/alias if you're confused.
tincan wrote: The quick and easy fix is to just close the client and not save anything, but it's really getting annoying.

Is there something I'm doing that causes this? Or is it a client thing?
This sounds to me like your triggers/aliases stop working after you make a new trigger/alias or edit a different trigger/alias. If this is the case, then it could be something related to whatever connects the alias-trigger that was changed to the one that stopped working. Common relationships include shared variables, or similar line matching with conflicting send commands.

Please also include your Mudlet version whenever asking for help

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

In comparison of Mudlet vs. zMud I'd also point out that we are F.O.S.S whereas you have to pay to use zMud.

Also, of course, despite the slow rate of progress in some areas ;) we are continuing to develop and improve Mudlet and being Gnu Public Licensed software YOU TOO CAN CONTRIBUTE and GIVE the source code and binaries to others with our blessing. :geek: OTOH I believe that the one man band that is ZuggSoft is no longer even working on zMud's successor cMud...!

tincan

Post by tincan »

Oh, I am enjoying Mudlet... won't be going back to zMud at all. ;)
My suggestion: Even if you platy while not-sober, try to check in when you are sober, just to make sure things make sense.
Yup, no worries there. I generally play most of the time sober... and write my issues down at the end of the day when I'm not.
If you're using any of the DISABLE functions
If you are referring to the buttons at the bottom of the screen, I like the time stamp one, and I find that some in-game things don't work and I do have to use the emergency stop button for certain things in-game to work around client aliases (the same was for zMud; I type often using semicolons as you can see and those don't work well when the client thinks I'm sending commands). But I don't think that is the issue?

I'll have to look into it again. Like I said, it seems random. This was just the first time, since I was entering a bunch of commands I used to use, where I was trying to test them all out and some worked, and some wouldn't. And then some that worked wouldn't anymore... I'll note things in the future. (Don't have time to game much this weekend :()
I was sane once. I got better.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I think you had emergency stop on. When you've got it on and try to use the editor, you'll notice things auto-disabling on you. It can get quite confusing but you learn to remember that you've got the bomb button on real fast then.