ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Mudlet3.0.1

MudManMike

ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Mudlet3.0.1

Post by MudManMike »

I recently updated to ubuntu 16.04 LTS from 14.04 LTS. In doing so the 3.0.0-delta copy of mudlet I was running which I got from the installer, stopped working (Not able to launch any more). I tried my hand at compiling from git (Development) and got a compile with no errors that i could see at first. When running mudlet however from time to time while using the script editor and switching around to different elements, the whole content of the script box will get erased sometimes. I am about to try and compile the release branch and see if I get the same results, but I was wondering if anyone else had had or heard of such an issue?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Mudlet3.0.1

Post by SlySven »

What Qt Library / IDE versions do you have - presumably you have a system provided one but you can down load and install a Free/Open Source Software from Qt directly and that will likely give you access to one or more later versions (I'm currently running with Qt 5.7 though I do have 5.0.2 {and 4.8.6 but we no longer support Qt 4} for testing.}
MudManMike wrote:In doing so the 3.0.0-delta copy of mudlet I was running which I got from the installer, stopped working (Not able to launch any more)...
Did you try running ldd on the executable to see if all the libraries that it needs are found - if there has been a system update it may have done things like update your system lua libraries and the lua 5.1 that Mudlet requires may have been updated to the now current 5.2 or 5.3 which are different and not supported currently. IIRC the installable form uses a script wrapper to ensure the correct Qt libraries are in the path that the executable will use. Actually I remember now that mudlet on *nix does support the standard GNU recommended -h and -v command line arguments and the latter will produce a few lines of text on current versions (NOT 2.1 or before) including details of the Qt libraries expected (compiled against) and that will be used...

MudManMike

Post by MudManMike »

I can reproduce the scripts disappearing across several different profiles. It seems if I use the search feature in the script editor (the button on the left side). Somewhere in the clicking between search results the scripts go missing.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Well, yes, the profiles are just data that the application uses but it sounds like an application problem so I wanted to check if all the libraries that your installed one is suppose to use can still be found when it wants. {humm, doesn't an installed version ship WITH the libraries it needs? :? }

Given that your problems seem to be occurring within the application when you are interacting with some Qt widgets I wondered what the version of those was being used!

It may be that compiling your own version could work differently from an "installed" one because it would be built against libraries that are on the system at the time it is built rather than pre-packed, possibly older ones, contained in an "Mudlet" installer package (or the different thing that is a Mudlet version packaged up by the Ubuntu maintainers to work as part of a Ubuntu distribution BTW).

Oh, wait a bit, yeah, that stuff disappearing from the editor sound like an issue with the older preview releases where "older" includes anything before the "delta" release and possibly the original release of that. The current development and (now a bit post)-delta preview releases should have fixed the issues in bug 1377401 so I'd suggest you do consider compiling from either of those current github branches.

MudManMike

Post by MudManMike »

When I do ldd against the mudlet executable in the 3.0.0-delta all libs look fine except for this:
libzip.so.2 => not found

I have libzip installed according to apt search libzip.
libzip-dev/xenial,now 1.0.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
library for reading, creating, and modifying zip archives (development)
I have both qt4 and 5 installed. my qt5 version looks like it's 5.5.1 using apt search qt | grep installed
I think i've been compiling with 4 something though in qt creator. I just figured out how to do a kit to use qt 5.5.1.

One question though. when I get the source from git how do i differentiate between the release and dev branch?
No matter which branch i'm in when i click the green clone button I get https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet.git.

Sorry to be so much trouble I'm not a seasoned ubuntu user and this is all pretty new to me.

MudManMike

Post by MudManMike »

I managed to get mudlet development branch compiled I think. I put the git link that was copied to clipboard when pressing the green clone button on the webpage in to the repository address of qt creator, then I put developent in the branch field. When I start the program Mudlet 3.0.1-dev is displayed at the top of the window. Does that sound right? While the issue of the scripts disappearing doesn’t seem to be as prominent it does still seem to happen if i clicked through items returned by a search in the script editor. Qt version I compiled with is
Qt Creator 3.5.1
Based on Qt 5.6.0 (GCC 5.3.1 20160413, 64 bit)

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

[EDIT: DANGER! WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! - Aaaaarrgh I've just WIPED OUT half of my development work that happened to be in an existing ~/src/Mudlet/... sub-tree by following the stuff below. MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHOOSE AN EMPTY SUB-DIRECTORY WHEN YOU IMPORT A GIT PROJECT WITH QT CREATOR - IT WILL TRASH ANY EXISTING STUFF IN THAT SUB-DIRECTORY OR BELOW IT WITHOUT WARNING!!!]
MudManMike wrote:... I put the git link that was copied to clipboard when pressing the green clone button on the webpage in to the repository address of qt creator, then I put developent in the branch field...
That sounds weird to me - unless Qt Creator allows you to build a project from a remote source - oh yeah it DOES! :P Well that was something I didn't know. :D

Humm, it is using CMake rather than opening the ./src/src.pro Qmake project files, well that is Okay I think - we test both systems with the Travis C.I. system and it only (consistently!) falls over on the Qt 5.0.2 build with Clang compiler on I think CMake so it ought to work for you with a later Qt. :geek: {Ah, it only uses a single processor so this test case is taking a bit longer for me than normal - my dev machine has a quad core processor which I normal use all of them for compilations.}

To change to work on/with the release_30 branch instead of the develop one go to the tools menu:
[attachment=3]QtCreator - select Git Branch_1.png[/attachment]
[attachment=2]QtCreator - select Git Branch_2.png[/attachment]
[attachment=1]QtCreator - select Git Branch_3.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]QtCreator - select Git Branch_4.png[/attachment]

Getting back to the main thrust of your post and looking over on the Ubuntu package listing I see that Ubuntu offers both a libzip 1.x version (possible as libzip4 on the 16 release) and something like libzip 0.11 (possibly as libzip2) I do remember that my Debian machines originally only had Debian's 0.10 version a couple of years ago and that was too old so I obtained the source from the home of the zip project NiH and I have libzip 1.0.1 to hand. IIRC Mudlet still uses some library calls that have been obsoleted in the latest 1.x versions which at this time is stated on the NiH site as: "Current version: 1.1.3 released on 2016-05-28".

I think, if you are compiling your OWN version you should install the older libzip2 AND libzip2-dev (if that is what it is called - use the aptitude package manager and see if you can find the right name for the latter development include (headers) file package which you WILL need). Alternatively download the last 0.x source code from NiH site, un-tar it in /usr/local/src/... then do a ./configure && make && sudo make install cycle and tweak the C/QMake project file(s) to use the freshly, locally built library.
Attachments
... after a tiny bit of processing it will become the active branch that you are working on! ;)
... after a tiny bit of processing it will become the active branch that you are working on! ;)
... select the remote release_30 branch then click "add" to make a local copy of THAT branch...
... select the remote release_30 branch then click "add" to make a local copy of THAT branch...
QtCreator - select Git Branch_3.png (48.86 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
... it will open a widget with the remote branches, showing that the default development branch is already "checked-out"...
... it will open a widget with the remote branches, showing that the default development branch is already "checked-out"...
Navigate to Tools -> Git -> local -> branches...
Navigate to Tools -> Git -> local -> branches...

MudManMike

Post by MudManMike »

Thanks for all your help SlySven.