Odd intermittent bug

Zarim

Odd intermittent bug

Post by Zarim »

Hi everyone.

This bug first showed up for me a few months ago, then went away after a week. Currently I'm in the middle of the fourth resurgence.

The problem is that Mudlet starts showing random-but-persistent changes to the game's output. It starts slow, replacing any open quotation with a tilde, or adding a few alphanumeric characters to the middle of any prompt I receive, replacing specific character names with a +A7f or something, etc. Every few minutes, the specifics of what is added and where will change, but otherwise be consistent during that time. It gets progressively worse until a few days or a week later it clears up again.

It makes it impossible for me to play, almost, as these changes pretty much disable my triggers entirely.

I've tried all sorts of things to fix it, including restarts, clean installs with/without my system or any code whatsoever included, other versions of Mudlet, etc.

I'm kind of lost here. Help?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Odd intermittent bug

Post by SlySven »

What is the MUD you are playing (and the Mudlet version you are playing it with) - I wonder if you are getting mojibake i.e. Mudlet only really handles ASCII but if the server is sending Utf8 (for the odd accented character) then this might confuse the current incoming text processing which is NOT (yet) capable of handling other encodings...

Can you PM me a copy of the saved game file (the date stamped named file in the particular profile's <username>/mudlet-data/profiles/<profilename>/current/ directory) after this has started to happen? Ideally a second one where you start and stop straight away would be useful as well then I might be able to see has changed between the two and maybe pin-point any difference and what might cause it. I don't want to actually log in so you might wish to remove the character name and password if you store/use them - I just want to try see whether there is anything creeping into the triggers.

BTW You are not using Windows are you? Otherwise I'd also wonder about a virus infection...! ;)