Run Mudlet data files from Cloud?

syberchick70

Run Mudlet data files from Cloud?

Post by syberchick70 »

I use several different computers and I would like to store my Mudlet data files 'in the cloud' (Dropbox), so that whatever computer I run Mudlet on, my database will be synchronized. Is there a way to do this?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Run Mudlet data files from Cloud?

Post by SlySven »

It "ought to be" but we don't make it easy to actually change the storage location IMHO ;)

However, I think you can achieve this if you make the place where Mudlet stores its files i.e. <your home directory>/<configuration files sub-directory>/mudlet (this is on *nix systems, not quite so sure for Windows/MacOS, this would be "~/.config/mudlet" which we set up a symlink to as "~/mudlet-data/" - though technically using "~" as the user's home directory is a "bashism" or so I've been told) a "cloud shared" directory i.e. one that is shared so that changes on one machine are replicated to all the others - that might work - as long as only one of those machines is playing Mudlet at a time.

syberchick70

Post by syberchick70 »

I was given a trick for doing this from a friend, he planned to post the instructions in the forum but I don't see it yet. It worked well on one computer (the one I set it up on), but I've gotten an error when trying to do the same from the other computer. Trying to work the kinks out on my end, but he says it's worked well for everyone else who has tried it. :)

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

What is your OS? And what is the "error" that you are getting? Also, do all the machines have at least roughly the same date and time? For *Nix machines I trust you are using the same time zone for yourself on each machine login, Mudlet by default chooses the "latest" save of the profile (and the map) if there are multiples and this might get upset if each machine has a different idea of what time is now.

syberchick70

Post by syberchick70 »

I managed to fix the error - it was (as I suspected) just a mistake I made in the file path. :p