Downloading Map for Imperian

dhuey

Downloading Map for Imperian

Post by dhuey »

Hi all,

I restarted my computer today, after saving my Imperian profile (mudlet version 2.1) and when I brought it back up and tried connecting, Mudlet crashed every time before I could get connected. So I went and redownloaded Mudlet and figured I'd update to 3.0.0-delta while I was at it. So I did that and it let me log in. Only problem was, when I pull up the map, the window is blank. It has the mapper controls and if I check the "Room Info" box, it knows where I am, and it can follow me around and everything, but nothing graphical will show up.

I tried redownloading the mapper script, redownloading the game map, I even uninstalled Mudlet and redownloaded 2.1 (it doesn't crash anymore) but to no avail. I can log in to the other IRE MUDs and the map works just fine. It's only Imperian that doesn't work. I've done RL and "force map," gone into settings -> mapper -> download the map, and that pops up and says "Downloading the map" for a few seconds, then disappears and nothing happens.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Downloading Map for Imperian

Post by SlySven »

I'm not entirely sure but I think there is a glitch with recent code in 3.0.0 series preview that does not put the "rooms" into the "areas" after installing a new map that was downloaded (as an XML file) from the five supported IRE games.

With the latest preview version "delta" or a later Git version on the main GitHub repository I think you can fix this with a script that iterates through EVERY room and notes the recorded area it is in {getRoomArea( roomId )} and then either moves it to a different area {setRoomArea( roomId, otherAreaId )} (or resets the room area with {resetRoomArea( roomId )}) and then restores it to the correct area that you first had it in. This cause the "area" to learn that it has that "room" in it - so it will then draw it.

Obviously, for a fresh map download all the areas get reset and as they all then think that they do not have any rooms to display (even though the rooms' know differently) your map appears to be completely blank!

Actually, if you have the latest, bleeding edge source code from the repo. the new map "auditing" code will pick up on this if the map is saved and reloaded - which might be a quicker fix if your Lua scripting foo is not strong - if you then look in the errors.txt file as directed (or enable the "Report map issue on-screen" check-box on the "Mapper" tab of the options) you will get to see all the gory details as the rooms get put into the areas that they should have been in... :-)

Indeed "losing" rooms from areas was an "undocumented software feature" of the early 3.0.0 previews - and the flaws extended to terminal crashes if a room was moved from one area to another after placement in an area - also up to quite recently the initial "default" or "holding" area that new rooms were supposed to be in was not actually being created auto-magically as needed - fortunately THAT second bug masked the effect of the first (until the room had been placed into an area). One symptom of the second bug is an orange coloured moan in the "Errors" console of the Editor about the room not having an area to be moved "from" each time a room was moved from the default area to the wanted one...! :roll: