Mudlet crashes when opening mapper/downloading map

Aaric

Mudlet crashes when opening mapper/downloading map

Post by Aaric »

Hi there,

I found one thread (http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... 60&p=21251) that seems to line up with the issue I'm seeing, but no useful conclusion was reached.

I am on Windows 7, 64 bit. When I open Mudlet, connect to Achaea with the default Achaea profile, then proceed to open the mapper, Mudlet crashes. The same thing happens if I connect and then try to download the map in the settings screen.

I have attempted to purge everything from my machine that's Mudlet related (uninstalled, deleted profiles, deleted configuration, etc), and reinstalled, and the problem persists :( It also happens on both 2.1 and 3.0.0-delta.

Here's the crash details, such as they are: http://dpaste.com/3J1YYG3

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Mudlet crashes when opening mapper/downloading map

Post by SlySven »

Ah, the XML file importer including the automatic (without currently a manual user one) method is the next thing on my todo list. I'll see if I can dig out a previous prototype to get something that can be bolted onto the current code to fix this - if it isn't fit for public consumption I'll try to post out a cleaned-up copy of a Mudlet map file generated by a download of the current Achaea XML map in the next few days.

BTW I do not think those crash details are going to help much - all they say is that the windows equivalent to a SIGSEGV happened in the mudlet.exe executable - unfortunately it does not say WHAT operation (source code command) was being done when this happened...

Aaric

Post by Aaric »

I'm not sure I follow you 100% - you're saying you think this is related to importing the XML map files?

I attempted to create a profile on a fresh Mudlet 3.0.0-delta install on another machine where the mapper works (a Windows 10 desktop) and successfully downloaded/installed a crowdmap, and copied the full profile folder to the Windows 7 laptop I'm having trouble on - still crashes when I open the mapper. It shouldn't be trying to load an XML map in that scenario, right?

I suspected the crash info wouldn't be much help. Any chance of a debug build?

Edit to add: Mudlet and the mapper used to work fine on this laptop - I took a break from Achaea for a couple years and when I decided to poke my head in again recently I updated Mudlet to 3.0.0-delta and set about setting up a new profile before running into this problem. Not sure if that might provide more useful context.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Well, some things have changed inside Mudlet over the years - and you have got yourself the latest "preview" of what release 3.0.0 is going to be - unfortunately there are around 6 issues that still need sorting out, and the handling of XML maps that the 5 IRE MUDs offer and that can be downloaded and installed auto-magically is one area that needs polishing, there is a distinct lack of error handling (or even error messages) in some of the map/package file loading/saving operations.

I wonder though if your problems are arising from it being a "fresh" installation with an unpopulated "<home dir>/.config/mudlet/<profile name>" area i.e. there are no <profile name> subdirectories. Let me see what happens in that scenario.

[EDIT: there is a bit of a glitch in the code for the "Connection profile" dialogue/form - as you click over the predefined MUDs in the form as the selection leaves each icon the data on the form for that MUD is written out to the directory where the profile's data is stored - it is just that for a new installation on a fresh machine the directories do not exist and internal (Qt) warning messages may get generated. I'd already spotted it and reported in bug 1378136, but have not done any yet to fix it...]

Aaric

Post by Aaric »

Gotcha. Well, as I noted above, it happens with 2.1 as well, so... :)

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Oh dear - I do not like the look of that - I hope it was just my local copy of the code that I messed up but I did manage to create an Achaea character and down load the provided map OK; but then found I only had one room in it - it is probable that, as was using code where I was working on that feature for downloaded XML maps from IRE Muds I have just broken something in my copy. I'll straighten that out and I will try again...

Aaric

Post by Aaric »

For the sake of posterity, I'll let anyone who looked at this thread know that it seemingly resolved itself after rebooting my laptop once or twice. Windows, amirite? :roll: