Odd MU* log-in interaction

thesavvygk

Odd MU* log-in interaction

Post by thesavvygk »

Hello!

I'm trying to set up my own MU*. I've some experience with MUSHes and such, but most of my experience is with MUDs, which is why I'm using Mudlet.

However, sadly, when I try connecting to the code base I'm using, I get a weird issue with log-in, where I have to enter the same command twice. It only goes through on the second time I enter the command even though I haven't changed anything.

If you want to see this issue for yourself, you can try creating an account and logging into the Rhost Dev server. Simply PM me and I'll give you the information for it. Thanks!

UPDATE 11/10/2015 12:19AM EST

The culprit found was actually a false positive due to some code I'd put in to automatically "skip" this issue. Without that code, the issue persists even with the keepalive flag toggled off. Any help in isolating the issue would be much appreciated.

UPDATE

The culprit may have been found. Per:
[11:21 AM] Ashen-Shugar says "Btw Tesagk, for your mudlet, do: @toggle me=!keepalive"
[11:21 AM] Ashen-Shugar says "See if that resolves your weird character thing"
[11:21 AM] Ashen-Shugar says "mudlet may doing something wonky with keepalives"
Test case results in no issues logging in with the keepalive flag off.
Last edited by thesavvygk on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

thesavvygk

Re: Odd MU* log-in interaction

Post by thesavvygk »

Here's a conversation I had with the current primary developer for Rhost:
[05:02 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'Do you think you would be able to help me figure out what's
happening between Mudlet and Rhost?'.
[05:02 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'I'm no pro at coding, but I do know C and Lua decently.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'I think, with someone giving me tips on what to look for, I
could figure it out.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'Debugging is my weak area.'.
[05:03 PM] Ashen-Shugar(ash) pages: not easilly, having never used mudlet in my life, I don't know
enough about the base expectations to really know what should be the norm or not
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'Well.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'I mean, it's really this one isolated case.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'I try to connect at the start screen, and I have to enter
the command a second time.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'After that, it's all peachy.'.
[05:03 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'I can ask the Mudlet folks for some help.'.
[05:04 PM] You paged Ashen-Shugar with 'If I can share this host with them to test on.'.
[05:05 PM] Ashen-Shugar(ash) pages: see if mudlet is sending keepalives or othert packets. See if
there's a way you can have mudlet disable telnet negotiation, that may be it
Any help in this is appreciated. You can log into the development MU* for Rhost at:
iweb.localcecho.net

Port:

thesavvygk

Post by thesavvygk »

Another update. Problem is ongoing.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Humm, how well sorted out is your Server's Telnet sub-option negotiations? It seems to me that if Mudlet is set to use some of them, e.g. MSDP, GMCP etc. by host profile configuration ("Profile Preferences Dialogue") that it starts to use them even before they have been negotiated: the TLuaInterpreter class does not check that the relevant protocol has been actually negotiated to be enabled with the Server before sending out the data from commands: sendATCP(), sendGMCP(), sendMSDP(), sendTelnetChannel102(). IMVHO those should error if used when they are not supposed to be "allowed".

@Vadi:- is this a bug?

I see that the LuaGlobal.lua file that is used to install all the other Mudlet and Geyser subsystem files on profile initialisation installs GMCP.lua which contains a function gmod.reenableModules() which is attached to the sysConnectionEvent. I do not know enough to tell whether that is going to be relevant... :oops:

thesavvygk

Post by thesavvygk »

I shared this with the main developer of Rhost. This is getting a bit over my head (I'm just getting back into C, and I wasn't advanced in it even before I stopped).