How do I 'restart' mudlet with totally wiped profiles?

twixt

How do I 'restart' mudlet with totally wiped profiles?

Post by twixt »

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling mudlet but it 'remembered' my profiles - how does that work, why does it do that, and how do I stop it from doing that? I want to totally wipe everything. Where is it even keeping this stuff in memory?

Please bear with me, I'm a total newb. It feels especially frustrating and awful because I'm usually tech-competent but I've never tried scripting/triggers with MUDs before so I feel like I *should* know how this all works... aaaaand I don't.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: How do I 'restart' mudlet with totally wiped profiles?

Post by SlySven »

Mudlet, along with many other *nix applications store user related configuration data in the .config sub-directory of your home directory (the one that "cd" with no arguments on *inux takes you to).

You will need to find the "mudlet" directory and related subdirectories which on a Linux box will be, in a bash or similar shell, "~/.config/mudlet") - you will probably also have a "mudlet-data" directory in your home directory which will be a symbolic link to the same place. On Windows I'm not so sure how it will show up but you may also have the .config/mudlet arrangement from whatever particular location your version of that OS uses, and as for Macs, well they do their own thing and I wouldn't like to say where that OS will have your files.

There is some other data that is stored in a parallel Mudlet directory - in that there is a single .INI format file "Mudlet 1.0.conf" which stores some GUI related data, it is also generated as needed and doesn't need to be destroyed. Under the mudlet one referred to are various files and directories, including at the top level some font files (the default Deja Vu font that Mudlet uses) and the "profiles" subdirectory which itself holds the data for each profile that you have created, either by using one of the predefined ones or by making a new one on the dialog that comes up when you click the "connect" button...

tl, dr;
Delete the directory under the ./config/mudlet/profiles one for the profile that you want to completely wipe (when Mudlet IS NOT running) and it will erase all traces of the profile concerned (just remember the user name and password for the character you have on the MUD server if you have got to the stage to use those entries of the "profile" to log into that server if it one that can be logged into by simply sending a name and password once a connection is made to it!)

Note that many *nix GUI filemanglers will hide, by default, files and subdirectories which begin with a period '.' given that there is no such file system oddities as a "hidden" file attribute that certain other OS centric file-systems try to use to sneak things past the user.