Fedora problems running mudlet

uti

Fedora problems running mudlet

Post by uti »

Hi,

Tried to download and install mudlet for linux. Installer ran, and everything is installed.

When I try to run mudlet, I get what seems like dependecy errors, yet I am not sure what I am missing.

Mudlet 2.1:
$ sh run-mudlet.sh
./mudlet: error while loading shared libraries: libquazip.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Mudlet 3.0.0-delta:
$ sh run-mudlet.sh
./mudlet: /home/rob/mudlet-3.0.0-delta/bin/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /lib64/libicui18n.so.52)
./mudlet: /home/rob/mudlet-3.0.0-delta/bin/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /lib64/libicuuc.so.52)
Seems I already libstdc++ installed, and just installed quazip. Still not working for Mudlet 2.1.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: Also installed libstdc++-devel and quazip-devel. Perhaps I need to change the reference to libquazip to quazip (fedora package name) somehow?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Fedora problems running mudlet

Post by SlySven »

You're using a *nix platform by the looks of it - try using the ldd command with the (full path and file) name of the mudlet executable as the argument. That will show you the wanted libraries to be used and will point out the ones that are missing. It may be that the libquazip.so.0 file is not in the place that it is supposed to be. After running updatedb with elevated privileges (as root or with sudo) if necessary to refresh the system database of where every file is, you can try using the locate command with "libquazip.so.0" as an argument to see where it actually is. If there is a discrepancy the quickest fix would be to make a symbolic link with the same name, in one of the standard library locations e.g. /lib or /usr/lib to the actual file. The use of lib64 suggests that you are in fact using a 64bit GNU/Linux installation so the /lib or /usr/lib suggestions may not be quite appropriate, but the other libraries that ldd shows should give you a clue as to where the right place might be.

And it would be strange if you did not have libstdc++ installed I think!

uti

Post by uti »

Thanks @SlySven, I appreciate it.

Already tried to symlink, and ldd shows libquazip.so.0 which I already have symlinked. Locate libquazip.so.0 actually shows my symlink.

I am not sure what to do next. Maybe I'll just install Ubuntu. Beats having to boot os x to play :)

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

What is that symlink pointing to - or is it a dangling one :shock: . What does ls -l <full pathname to libquazip.so.0 from locate command> report, it should be something like /<some path>/libquazip.0.0.4.so though it may go via a couple of increasingly specific (more ".#" numbers) intermediate symlinks to the actual library.

Ah, I see that libquazip 0.4.4 was taken out of the source after release 2.1 and I think it was included as a local library to build in the 2.1 and before source - so if you have the source, look for that quazip subdirectory in the project's src one, go there, and try the traditional ./configure, make, and possibly sudo make install incantation. Then you will need to check that the project is looking in the relevant location for the library files (though I think that is one of the things the run-mudlet.sh shell script is for so that might need tweaking to include the location of the freshly built library files if you can't do the above sudo make install invocation.)

For your other case it seems that you have the (current) latest gcc-4.9 installed so these might give you some pointers: StackOverflow question 23494103 and question 20357033.

Note that I am speaking as a developer working from source so an end-user looking to run a pre-compiled binary may have different view-point/situation and I may have overlooked something or got it wrong. :roll:

uti

Post by uti »

Hi SlySven! I made it work by creating symlinks inside the mudlet-2.1/bin directory. Had a couple of rounds with new library error messages, but tackled them one by one by making appropriate symlinks.

It works now :) I get some error messages (see below), but it seems to work fine despite that:
Unable to find symbols in icui18n
WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded
WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ).
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ).
Object::connect: No such slot TLuaInterpreter::slotSelect(int,QString,int) in TLuaInterpreter.cpp:86
Object::connect: No such slot TLuaInterpreter::slotSelectSection(int,int,int) in TLuaInterpreter.cpp:87
Object::connect: No such slot TLuaInterpreter::slotSetFgColor(int,int,int,int) in TLuaInterpreter.cpp:91
Object::connect: No such slot TLuaInterpreter::slotSetBgColor(int,int,int,int) in TLuaInterpreter.cpp:9
Should I worry about any of that?

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Don't worry about the Object::connect warnings, that was some inter-Class signal-slot stuff that changed over time and one part got changed without the other part being updated.

The WARNINGs are down to the Mudlet 2.1 version using the Phonon sound system that was/is a part of KDE and used by the Qt4 libraries that Mudlet 2.1 uses - check for the presence of packages like phonon-dev or libphonon-dev - installing the -dev (if that is what Fedora calls the packages that contain the headers for the libraries in the packages without the -dev suffix) type packages should pull in others that you need to get the lua playSoundFile( filename ) command and for the play sound on trigger in the trigger editor to work, even if you are not compiling from source - and if you are doing that then the dev parts are definitely needed...

uti

Post by uti »

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, and try if I need sound.

I installed with the linux installer. Did not compile myself.