Couple of Questions

JeremyBenson11

Couple of Questions

Post by JeremyBenson11 »

Hey,

I've got a couple of questions. My first question is about the mapper. I moved a node while playing Achaea. Now the node is way out of place with multiple white paths coming from it. I can figure out how to move it back, or where it even came from. Is there a simple way to reset the map, or tell Mudlet to re-install the map?

The second is about mud creation in general. I've got working knowledge in html, php, js, and sql. I'm not the best programmer, but can get by. I can understand how I would make a mud that would run in a browser, but how does this tie in with clients? How could I learn to program a sound mud that would tie in with mudlet, top muds, mud connector, or any of the such?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Couple of Questions

Post by SlySven »

For your first question: go to the configure/settings "Profile Preference" dialogue (click the spanner icon on the top toolbar) and select the "Map" (or was it "Mapper") tab, there you can click a button to load in a difference map so you can do that and choose to load in a older, pre-your-change map. From what I recall Aachaea is a a Mud that Mudlet can auto-magically download a map for - so it may also be possible to get a fresh copy to overwrite the one you have that is messed up

Also: if you click on the room/node with your mouse in the 2D map it will turn orange when selected, then you can right-click to bring up a context menu where you can do several things including selecting "move" to drag the room back to where it should be, or "move to" where you can enter the coordinates in a dialogue that you want it to have (if you know where it should be).

JeremyBenson11

Post by JeremyBenson11 »

Hey,

thanks for the tip. I'll have to try the first option. I've tried moving the node, but for some reason there's extra paths leading out of it. No matter where I set it, it looks weird.

Do you know anything about the second question? Is there a programming standard, language, or ide, for making games compatible with these types of clients?

I would understand using javascript and jqeury, but how do you program a website that communicates with someone elese's client?

Even general terms would help, like check out such an such irc tools, or Google this or that :)

Thanks,
Jeremy.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

You might want to pop over to Mudbytes there is all sorts of stuff there, some of which might help you. :wink:

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You'd need to create a Telnet server, Mud clients communicate with the servers over the Telnet protocol. There are quite a few open-source servers out there, so some Googling will give you ideas on how to get started.

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

Nick Gammon has made a few posts on his website about different Mud servers - and there's even on written entirely in Lua <3.