I found a strange alias issue

Talkslowtome

I found a strange alias issue

Post by Talkslowtome »

I made some simple aliases. They work fine. But they fire when other text uses the same letters. For instance I aliased ds for draw sword. Later when I tried to look woods, the alias fired instead.

My guess is that I have made some mistake. I cannot imagine what it is. In the end I ended up turning all the aliases off.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: I found a strange alias issue

Post by SlySven »

You need to modify the alias's idea of what to trigger off of - in the box where you typed "ds" to be the thing to trigger your alias to work you need to change that to be "^ds$" - the extra symbols mean:
'^' = "match the start of the line"
'$' = "match the end of the line"
this makes it so that the alias only gets activated if the 'd' is the FIRST letter on the line and 's' the LAST - otherwise the alias will trigger whereever it sees the two letter pair "ds" in your input.

This is what is known as a regex - a contraction of "regular expression" and can be a very powerful way to specify what you do and don't what to be found out of a whole lot of text...

P.S. for any really new to MUD type text games people the '^' character is known as a "caret" typically on shifted 6 key on a keyboard, and the '$' is the dollar symbol, which I can find on shifted-4 on my UK keyboard.

Talkslowtome

Post by Talkslowtome »

You! You are my hero!

Talkslowtome

Post by Talkslowtome »

I have a similar problem with the semicolons. When speaking on the mud, if I type a semicolon as part of the sentence, the mud things I'm asking for it to go to a new line. How do you get the client to differentiate between punctuation in commands and punctuation in "speech?'

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Speech is also commands. So it is actually impossible to make such a distinction. But, you can avoid the difficulty by changing the command separator. I made mine ;; rather than ;, because I never use ;; for any other purpose.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

You may also find that a leading '\' works e.g. use "\;" to switch off the special meaning of "end the current command and start another one":
* HP:50/50 MV:85/90 > say hello pussy; stroke cat
You say: 'hello pussy'
You caress their thigh

* HP:50/50 MV:85/90 > say hello pussy\; stroke cat
You say: 'hello pussy; stroke cat'

* HP:50/50 MV:85/90 >

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

:|

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

I found that emote response by accident on the main MUD I play when I met a player who successfully role plays (no verbal responses other than yowls, hisses and purrs) a feline :oops:

Talkslowtome

Post by Talkslowtome »

Thanks!

Talkslowtome

Post by Talkslowtome »

I'm so pleased. Apart from figuring out what to do about that semicolon issue (I'm thinking the / is the way to go) mudlet now does everything I need it to do in the way I want it done. I used cmud for years, but windows 8 said it had to go. Transitioning was hard. You guys made it much easier.