Help with mapper (IRE Imperian)

kermdawg

Help with mapper (IRE Imperian)

Post by kermdawg »

Hi I got a problem. I've tried deleting the mapper files and folder and script and reinstalling. I just reinstalled windows, still having the problem.

My problem is my mapper itself is displaying erroneous rooms and links that dont exist. I tried deleting the link, and it didnt work, said there is no link. I deleted the ROOM it was linking to, but it kept popping back up, each time with a differnat number and description. This happens in several differant areas.

I've done no mapping myself, I only downloaded the map from the Imperian server. Couple friends of mine dont seem to be having a similar problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Help with mapper (IRE Imperian)

Post by SlySven »

Um, where did you get the Mudlet application from? There are some versions out there that had a bug which meant that deletion a room or trying to move it from one area to another after it had been assigned to an area messes up the internal data structures with some really nasty side-effects. If your friends have "rolled their own" by compiling from source they will most likely be using up to date source code which has fixes for the issues concerned. If you can report the version this may give us some pointers as to whether this IS the problem here.

kermdawg

Post by kermdawg »

I downloaded it from the link on the website. sourceforge.net/projects/mudlet/files/Mudlet-2.1.exe/download

Mudlet version 2.1
Im unsure of the version of the mapper script, but I just downloaded it today. Deleted the old one, installed the new one. I got a thank you message :)

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Well Ok then! :lol:

I can't remember what, if any, the issues may have been with the 2.1, we are trying to get 3.0 ready and things have picked up in the last couple of weeks but there are still some things to be sorted out.

kermdawg

Post by kermdawg »

Mapper script is 14.6.1 I saw it when I logged in this morning.

So theres nothing we can do to fix this right now?

kermdawg

Post by kermdawg »

I have an uneducated guess about what may be happening. I THINK all these mysterious rooms seem to be originating from player housing, i.e. rooms that change descriptions alot, behind locked doors, that I cant get in to. If you play IRE muds you'll know what I mean.

Is there anyway to maybe turn off player housing? I tried deleting and unlinking some of these rooms but they still appear on the map.

update-The issue is definately related to player housing. I went through and manually deleted some rooms and most of the "erroneous" rooms went away. Once again, is there a way to turn off player housing mapping? I cant figure out why my map is displaying it like this. Maybe its a setting I have on/off?

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Hang on, does this mean that you have worked on your local copy of the map to delete rooms there OR do you mean that you have deleted rooms on the remote master map on the Server (presumably on your player housing - as I assume that other players haven't given you permission to destroy their accommodation ;) )

I'm not intimately familiar with this Mapper Script but does it not re-download a map every so often (e.g. "re-syncing" but ONLY from the Server to your local copy) and does that not replace any local map that you might have modified? Would that not produce the effect that you are describing?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

The script will prompt you when it detects a newer version of the map and allow you to download it.

Does imperian include manses in the xml it sends? The other IREs don't that I've played.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

I think I am going to have to, damn, boot up a Windows machine :o and check out that version, though I won't be able to do much in the way of debugging it.

kermdawg

Post by kermdawg »

SlySven wrote:Hang on, does this mean that you have worked on your local copy of the map to delete rooms there OR do you mean that you have deleted rooms on the remote master map on the Server (presumably on your player housing - as I assume that other players haven't given you permission to destroy their accommodation ;) )

I'm not intimately familiar with this Mapper Script but does it not re-download a map every so often (e.g. "re-syncing" but ONLY from the Server to your local copy) and does that not replace any local map that you might have modified? Would that not produce the effect that you are describing?
Well I've deleted the local copy and redownloaded several times, and I had the same issue. Even after completely reinstalling windows(not just for this, I had to anyway) and redownloading mudlet, and downloading everything fresh, it still had this issue. And, I even installed mudlet on a differant hard drive this time, with a completely fresh profile, and imported my old package to this new one(could THIS be causing that issue? I didnt think the map .xml file was exported with the triggers/scripts/aliases)

I was under the assumption the crowdsourced mapping was only for Achaea. I've turned it off. I hope to god I'm editting my local copy as I have no idea how I would be editing the server copy. All I did is do "rld" the rooms im trying to get rid of.

As far as redownloading a new map every 12/24 hours or so, it does prompt me too. But its not automatic(I think there is a setting though for that though), and I dont do it. BEcause when I do, guess what? Back to square one hehe.

To clarify, I have not done any personal mapping(i.e. adding rooms or the like) of my own. The only mapping I have done is deleting those rooms that were "not there"(they are technically, there. But the mapper has them displayed in the "wrong" spot).