Moving the GUI

Laisha

Moving the GUI

Post by Laisha »

I have no idea why it happened, but for the past couple of months, I am unable to move my Mudlet 2.1 GUI. It comes up right smack in the middle of my left-hand monitor in a most inconvenient place, and there is no top bar that I can drag it with.

I have tried everything I can think of to allow me to move the danged thing where I can actually use it.

Please help.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Moving the GUI

Post by SlySven »

Depending on your OS you might be about to bring up the Application's Title bar menu and use the "move" command from there with the keyboard. Switch to the Mudlet application by, typically holding down <Alt> and pressing <Tab> until the main Mudlet window is the selected application (icon) - note that some of the additional dialog windows used by Mudlet also appear in what is displayed, so if, for instance, you have the editor open you will also have the same icon but with a yellow construction worker's helmet on top... - then release <Alt> and bring up the Application Menu window (which, though it normally appears where and when you left-click on the Application's Menu button which is typically at the top left of the Application Window, it should appear in a visible screen location) by pressing <Space> whilst holding down <Alt>, then release <Alt> and then use the keyboard 'm' which is the normal short-cut on such menus in any English locale (US, UK...) for "move", so you can use the arrow keys to drag Mudlet's application window (down and right in your case) so that you can see it all or at least the title bar...

You may also find the other Application Menu keyboard short-cuts useful which I think tend to be:
  • 'r' - "resize", the first direction arrow selects the side to adjust, then it and it's opposite adjust THAT side, then use one of the two at 90 degrees to switch to the other dimension to adjust a neighbouring side and so on, until you can get them all on screen.
  • 'f' - "fullscreen", if you have set the "Use Mudlet on a netbook with a small screen", you will also have a toolbar Button that toggles full-screen mode on and off like this option does - but as it tends to lock the application to the screen with "move" and "resize" disabled and the Application's Title Bar (with the Application's Menu button) hidden (though still accessible by the keyboard method herein) - you are not likely to be in THAT state, by the sounds of it...
  • 'x' - Maximise (+ UN-maximise on some OS's, though Windows calls the latter "restore" and I don't recall the key for THAT)
  • 'n' - Minimise, though iconifying the application would not be much help for your problem...
Note that this list was written from a GNU/Linux perspective, Windoze is broadly similar but Macs could be completely different as far as I know. I think that an Application Menu will have the same core entries for all applications on your computer so you can try it out with a different program which is all on-screen and directly accessible with a mouse as well, e.g. a text editor first, to get the hang of it and to see what to do before sorting this out.

Mudlet does store its main window location between invocations so if you close it, once it is in the new, correct place, that should sort it out. As a quick and dirty short-cut in the future you might like to track down the configuration settings store that Mudlet is using (something like "~/.config/Mudlet/Mudlet 1.0.conf" in an INI format on a GNU/Linux box, but might be the registry on Windoze and who knows what Macs use!) and note the working values stored against the "pos" and "size" keys... though they WILL get overwritten by an operating instance of the Mudlet application as it closes so tweaking these could only be effective if you are NOT currently running Mudlet! :geek:

Of course if you go delving in a Windows Registry you should take all the usual safety precautions that THAT action normally has written about it. :twisted: