dummy profile

silvercoon

dummy profile

Post by silvercoon »

Is it possible to create a dummy profile in MUDlet for offline use?

I've been looking for an auto-mapping program for rpgs. I mean like the old school DOS crpgs - 'dungeon crawls'. I ran across a post on a message board that suggested that a mud client could be used as such - assuming it had a mapping option. The respondent said that the player could create a dummy profile and use the mapper that way.

Any takers?

demonnic

Re: dummy profile

Post by demonnic »

set the server address to localhost and even though it will try to connect, it will fail

This is the closest thing to what you're asking for I've come up with.

Akaya

Post by Akaya »

I actually did this for the game Dungeon Crawl. I simply wrote a script that converted a text map to a tile map. Not sure how useful it be in your situation but worth a look I suppose: http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... awl#p19587

silvercoon

Post by silvercoon »

Thanks to those who responded. Umm, working... it might take a while.

I can't believe this is still up. Enjoy.

http://arcterex.net/sig.txt

silvercoon

Post by silvercoon »

Two concerns: where do I put files I download - like the mapper XML files?

There's a problem with the box placement when I click the 'Map' button. The box appears almost nonexistent, only the left edge is sticking out on the right side of the screen. The Left and Down buttons, the word Rooms, and the button on top that appears to minimize the Map window - these are the only thing I can see. The MUDlet window is what I call 'fullscreen in a window' - it takes up the whole screen, but the minimize button is still up top where I can click it.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Sounds like you are using the "built-in" mapper (docking) widget so just grab the left edge of it and drag it out to the left to expanded it into a usable size. (I.e. left mouse click and hold, then move the mouse to the left, releasing it only when it gets to the size you want) As it is a docking widget you will see some odd interactions when the bit you are dragging gets near to one of the three (left, top, right) edges of the areas where it can dock - or, if like me you have a multi-monitor set up you can usefully drag it to another monitor entirely...! There may well be two small button controls in the title bar area of the widget, the outer one shows/hides the widget (as does the "Map" button on the Main Tool-bar and it also shows up as one of the originally unnamed but it will get a name soon, checkable options on the context (right-click) menu that shows up over the top menu / main tool bar); the inner one docks/undocks the widget though IIRC when it gets undocked it may forget the size it had the last time it was undocked a.k.a floating.

Hope that helps...!

silvercoon

Post by silvercoon »

@SlySven: Nothing you have described works. The box appears to locked in place for some reason. 'Left-click and hold' does not work - the pointer moves, but I can't hold onto the box to move it. All I can do to affect it is click the top button, which causes it to vanish - I assume under normal conditions it would be minimized.
I have uninstalled Mudlet and reinstalled it, and it still does the same thing. Which makes me think there's some kind of setting somewhere that is affecting this, but I have no clue where to find it.
Thanks for trying.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

silvercoon, would you take a quick screen capture of the window and throw it up here so we can take a look at it? Sometimes that makes it a lot easier to figure out what advice is best to give =)

silvercoon

Post by silvercoon »

Done. Seems you have to click it to stretch the image before you can see the section I'm speaking of.
Screenshot (1).png

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Ok, I'll admit that this is a new one to me. Have you loaded any scripts which might have created a map miniconsole? There are two ways you can consume the map. One is the docking widget SlySven described, the other is a built in miniconsole that sits at a set of x,y coordinates over the main window. If it's somehow been loaded in that way but with a bad set of x,y coords it could be way off like that.

Though generally that'd come up when you started it up and not when you hit the map button. Is that Windows 8 you're running?