Mudlet times me out when idle

Breezy

Mudlet times me out when idle

Post by Breezy »

Hi!

I'm having a problem staying connected to my games when idle. I'm not talking hours and days or whatever. But, sometimes I have to go AFK for about 5+ minutes. Usually when I come back, and send a command, nothing happens. I reconnect and the MUD tells me that i'm reconnecting and it's throwing out the old copy.

I've been setting a timer to send "." every 5-7 minutes to keep from timing out. I've been making this longer and and longer to see how long it takes to time out. Having a "look" or error message from the "." come up every so often is annoying. So, I want to space it out as much as possible, if I can't just fix the issue outright.

I used to idle happily on MUSHClient. SOmetimes I would forget I was signed on to various games for days, with no problem. However, I was using a wired connection and now I'm on a wireless. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this other than set a timer?
Thanks in advance!

Karmandel

Re: Mudlet times me out when idle

Post by Karmandel »

The difference may be that your current broadband modem (which I assume you're using) is timing out your NAT translation after 5 minutes or so, when the connection is idle. Different models do it differently.

The solution is probably something called TCP keepalives. A program can ask to enable them, I seem to remember that MUSHclient does that. Otherwise you can change a registry setting to enable them for all programs, google will tell you how.

If you are on Linux or OS X, you will also have to decrease the keepalive timer. I just had to do that myself, I can share that solution: Create /etc/sysctl.conf with the following lines, or add them if it already exists:

net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1
net.inet.tcp.keepidle=60000
net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=5000

Karmandel

Re: Mudlet times me out when idle

Post by Karmandel »

Forgot to mention that on Linux or OS X you'll have to reboot before it takes effect, unless you add the same options to the running system with

Code: Select all

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepidle=60000
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=5000
You will have to reconnect in any case.