Database Help - Me Too Pls!

DarkArtist

Database Help - Me Too Pls!

Post by DarkArtist »

My brain is hurting from using examples that just fail to work. I followed the manual first before attempting to find stuff on the forums and found out about all the db: issues. It's so frustrating to waste that time on examples that don't function.

I read Vadi's workaround, but then I read that the db: issue was sposed to be resolved. Working through all the forum posts is proving unhelpful, because I'm a newb and can't find a simple concise example.

What I want to do is exactly whats premised in the manual. I want a database with 2 sheets (cities), 1 city is "goblins" and the other city is "kobolds". Then within each sheet I want three columns, "name" "short" and "long", for the mob key name ("male-kobold"), short name ("a male kobold"), and long name("A male kobold is standing here.") None of the keys have to be unique I think, but if so it would be the key name.

Then I want functions short(mob) and long(mob) that fetch and return the values.

I could write what I've tried here, but you can follow the example exactly as it is in the manual and you will see what I tried. I tinkered with it for hours before giving up.

If anyone could work us through the example in the manual in a way that works, I'm sure it would help a lot of new users, not just me. Looking thru the forum I find many people posting DB: issues, even as recent as November this year.

Pretty Pretty Pls? My brain hurts from this!

Vadi

Re: Database Help - Me Too Pls!

Post by Vadi »

It is resolved, but isn't available in a Mudlet update yet. You can however apply the fixes yourself - just make sure to undo them after you upgrade Mudlet, as they overwrite Mudlets DB.lua.

To fix it, create a new script - before your database-using ones - and put the content of this (https://raw.github.com/vadi2/mudlet-lua ... lua/DB.lua) into it. Restart Mudlet or use resetProfile(), and all examples will work.

DarkArtist

Re: Database Help - Me Too Pls!

Post by DarkArtist »

Ah. Thank you for that quick concise answer. Much appreciated :)