Help with Redhat 5 install

Jankomatic

Help with Redhat 5 install

Post by Jankomatic »

Not familiar with AppImages, but looks like you are just supposed to execute them?

First it bitched about no libpcre.so.3 so I just linked what libpcre.so.0 was pointed at. That error went away. I have the most recent version of fuse installed according to yum repository for 5.11.

No I can't go to a newer Redhat :)

[root ~]# ./Mudlet-3.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage
fuse: warning: library too old, some operations may not work
./Mudlet-3.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: /tmp/.mount_HDEUqS/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Any ideas?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Help with Redhat 5 install

Post by SlySven »

Red Hat? 5, is that 5.2? I've got that as a pair of CD's in the back of a book called "Red Hat Linux - Unleashed" (3rd Edition) from before the Millennium - or do you mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 i.e. Tikanga! Humm, according to this Qt Blog I suspect that Qt 5 hasn't made it into the distribution but could be built by someone sufficiently motivated (or bloody-minded) enough.

If you are willing and able to roll your own Mudlet from sources I might be able to help with a release_3.0.0 "proof-of-concept" back port to use Qt 4.8 I did recently and posted up just now. It is likely that your - somewhat mature setup will have a set of Qt 4.x libraries available, especially if you use the KDE desktop. For the record the changes I had to make (to accommodate the older Qt version) are not likely to make it back into the main repository but it might work for you - note that I had tried but failed to get the Travis CI system to test with Qt 4.x for the Linux platform but only managed to get it working with the QMake build system rather than the CMake one - I would suggest you use the native Qt build system as well if you try this... :geek:

This particular branch is unlikely to be supported officially so using it is proper GPL stuff - you get it free and if you break it/it breaks you get to keep all the pieces... :lol:

Jankomatic

Post by Jankomatic »

Yes this is Tikanga.

I would be willing to give it a try if I can get all the pieces needed for the compile. This is what I show for qt in Yum though, not 4.8.

qt4.i386 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-devel.i386 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-devel.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-doc.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-mysql.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-odbc.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-postgresql.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms
qt4-sqlite.x86_64 4.2.1-1.el5_7.1 rhel-5-server-rpms

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You just execute the AppImage and it should run, being a self-contained installer. That said we definitely don't have the resources of Red Hat to support an OS that's... past all of it's End of Production periods actually as of now. Unless @SlySven decides to cook something up, official binaries won't be going that far back, sorry.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

That Qt 4.2 may work - I do not recall any intrinsic limitation on the use of Qt 4.8 - besides Mudlet has been around for a while now and I can see there is still a compile time check for a feature that only came in after Qt 4.4 .

What could stuff things up is the ./src/src.pro QMake project file - I think it is compatible with the qmake from Qt 4 that you are going to have (there was some reworking of how things were done with the introduction of 5.x - but there were some awkwardnesses I remember from earlier attempts to do a dual Qt4.x/5.x version in that the version checks had to be crafted carefully to work with the earlier form as the test functions available were more restricted... If you get errors during the "qmake" stage (where it reads the ".pro" file and creates a "Makefile" in the build directory {use shadow builds so it keeps the source in the ./src directory and binaries in a ./buildXXXX alongside - it is easier to clean up if something goes wrong}) report back and I will see if that file can be revised to cope...

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

As for supporting Qt 4.x - that is all that Debian "Wheezy" (was "OldStable" but it will be loosing that designation some time this month as it reaches End-of-Life then) offered IIRC. Part of the reason to see if I could get a Qt4 version together was that (until very recently I was still using Wheezy and) I wanted to have something to pass to the people maintaining the Wheezy Sloppy-backports...!