Bug with variables saving? OSX reinstall / cleaning.

Dakhor

Bug with variables saving? OSX reinstall / cleaning.

Post by Dakhor »

Hello

Been trying to figure out variables in mudlet and on OSX and pressed the "activate" button on a variable and now mudlet will not start at all.

Deleting the application does not help so mudlet must be trying to load something corrupt from someplace else.

I was able to replicate this issue with variables in Windows and make it crash there as well on startup, but there after a few attempts mudlet defaults back to an earlier "state" and works again.

Any ideas what to delete on OSX to get it running again?

/DaK

Jor'Mox

Re: Bug with variables saving? OSX reinstall / cleaning.

Post by Jor'Mox »

So, the application is separate from where the profiles are saved. Those are saved by default in a path that looks like this: /Users/<your user name>/.config/mudlet/profiles/
The .config folder is hidden, but once you find it, you need to look in the profile folder that it is using by default, go into the "current" folder, and delete the most recent one. That should force it to go back to the previous save, which is hopefully a successful one.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

As an aside, I tested this today and the same problem occurred for me. I created a global variable, "activated" it so as to store its value, and when I restarted Mudlet, the profile wouldn't load, and Mudlet crashed. When I deleted the most recent version of the profile, back to when the variable was not saved, it started up without any problems. As was mentioned here, this is on a Mac.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Hey - sorry about the problem you're having. Could you take a look at the attached video and see if I followed the steps right?
Attachments
Kazam_screencast_00002.mp4.zip
(1011.82 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I already had existing variables in place that I used, so all I did was click on the check box next to the name of one of them, and then saved the profile. Then I closed Mudlet and tried to open it again, and it didn't work.

Dakhor

Post by Dakhor »

Vadi wrote:Hey - sorry about the problem you're having. Could you take a look at the attached video and see if I followed the steps right?
No this is not it -- simply make or choose a variable and then hit the little checkbox to the left of the variable that states (when mouse is over it) "checked variables will be saved and loaded with your profile"

I just tested it on windows and it also makes mudlet crash on windows.

I now avoid this issue by having a script that "loads" all the variables on startup now that I know how things are "supposed" to be done.

Cheers

DaK

Dakhor

Post by Dakhor »

As my first post was "negative" I also want to say what a lovely program Mudlet is! I am slowly (6 months in) learning more and more advanced things to do with Mudlet that in the end of the day make my Mudding life easier and also I gain some coding lessons useful elsewhere.

Just changed to using variables for all my in game containers so when I need to change where said item is stored, lets say a potion ingredient, I simply change the variable and not the 20 or so aliases and or triggers where said variable is used.

Cheers

DaK

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

All good! I understand any crashes are frustrating and definitely should not happen.

My only concern is that I can't get it to happen as well! I tried it on Windows and it worked too (sorta - it became hidden, but we'll fix that).

Could you have a look at this, see if I did anything differently?

@Jor'Mox mind making a video if you could + adding stacktrace you get on the crash report?
Attachments
Kazam_screencast_00005.mp4.zip
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 342 times

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

The only significant difference I see in what you did vs. what I did when I reproduced the problem was that I quit Mudlet and reopened it, while you did not. In particular, I tested this on the default profile that I have it load automatically upon launch. I don't know how or why that would make a difference, but when it comes to bugs I try to just roll with it. I shared a XML and a copy of the crash report I got related to this bug in the thread announcing the release of 3.0.0.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Aha, got it. Had to enable autoconnect for it to happen - didn't otherwise.