How to import new version of module?

fxf

How to import new version of module?

Post by fxf »

Hello,
I'm trying to use Mudlet Aardwolf GUI (MUG, http://www.aardwolf.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ardwolfGUI) and since the new version is out, I would like to update. When I loaded MUG for the first time I just used 'Import' button in scripts window. Problem is that I cannot use it for the newer version because all the stuff from old version stays there too and lots of things will be doubled.

Also I have my own aliases and triggers - so simply deleting profile and importing new version of module into empty profile won't work either. Any ideas what to do to be able to update easily when new version comes out?

Vadi

Re: How to import new version of module?

Post by Vadi »

If it's properly packaged, then it should have just one alias group, one trigger group, one script group and etc. So deleting these groups first and importing is easy.

fxf

Post by fxf »

Unfortunately, there is multitude of groups in triggers, aliases and scripts. Also, I have changed couple of things which don't belong directly to GUI (e.g. NSWE movement keybindings) which I don't want to be overwritten by new version of script. I will try to post a note to script author, but I still feel that current system of package loading into Mudlet needs some improvement.

I think that the core of problem is that all the configuration coming from multiple packages is aggregated in the single XML file. Thus any update is difficult to do and grouping is just a workaround. There really should be some way to have multiple script files and to be able to "include" them by some statement into main config.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There is no package system to begin with. Mudlet surely could use one, there are discussions on these forums about it but no consensus has been reached yet.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This is something that we should move back on the main agenda. Where's the original thread(s)?

lex

Post by lex »

Well guys are right, there isn't easy way how to update package. I have few ideas, but I need more time to think about it.

You can do following in mean time:
  • export all your triggers, aliased, scripts.. (one by one)
  • delete everything from your profile (you might want to Save Profile As to back it up)
  • import updated package (MAG in your case)
  • import your own stuff (scripts, triggers, ...)