Hanging indent

Ulenspiegel

Hanging indent

Post by Ulenspiegel »

Hello!

Does anybody know how to configure Mudlet's output window to use hanging indent? That is, if text is wrapped, first line of it is flush to left margin, and subsequent lines are all indented.

Thanks in advance. :)

SilverDragon

Re: Hanging indent

Post by SilverDragon »

You'll want to check out Preferences --> Main Display --> Word wrapping. There's two options "wrap lines at", and "indent wrapped lines by", I daresay what you're looking for is the second option. :]

However, one caveat I can think of is that there's no automatic adjustment for how much it indents based on the previous line, so you basically just pick a number of spaces to indent, and that's what you get.

Ulenspiegel

Post by Ulenspiegel »

Thanks. :) But I'm afraid that the option there only yields normal indent (first line of paragraph indented to the right, the rest of the lines flush to left margin). What I'm looking for is hanging indent, where in wrapped paragraph first line is flush with the margin, while subsequent lines are indented. Here's description and illustration to how it should look: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/hanging_indent.html

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Can you put in a negative number for the indent distance?

Ulenspiegel

Post by Ulenspiegel »

Nope, I tried. It would be logical, but no - Mudlet won't let me put a negative number there.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Well, then right now, there is probably no way you can get a hanging indent on wrapped lines. But I'm sure you could put in a feature request asking for it.

Ulenspiegel

Post by Ulenspiegel »

Thanks; I guess I'll write the request, and in the meantime will try and see if it's possible to do own wrapping in Lua somehow.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Well, that you could do, actually. Basically you need to create a "Lua Function" trigger. The function it checks will be where you normally put a pattern for the trigger, and if the function returns true, I think it will then run the code in the normal code block. Given what you are trying to do, I would just leave the code block empty, and do everything in the single function. It could look something like this:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
function my_line_wrap()
    local wrap = 100
    local str = ""
    local indent = "    "
    if #line > wrap then    -- checks to see if line needs to be wrapped
        selectCurrentLine()
        replace("")         -- clears the text from the game
        local len = 0
        for w in string.gmatch(line,"(%s*[^%s]+)")   -- loops through the current line, one word at a time
            if len + #w <= wrap then     -- checks to see if word fits in line
                str = str .. w     -- appends next word
                len = len + #w     -- keeps track of line length
            else
                echo(str .. "\n")   -- writes accumulated text
                str = indent .. string.trim(w)   -- starts new line
                len = #w + #indent
            end
        end
    end
end
Note that this function does NOTHING to maintain colors. Adding that would add notably more complexity, but should be possible.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Ulenspiegel wrote:Thanks. :) But I'm afraid that the option there only yields normal indent (first line of paragraph indented to the right, the rest of the lines flush to left margin)...
I have been looking in that area of the code base recently and I cannot say I was really that much whelmed by the current behaviour {I need to do something because in the on-going work striving towards I18n our current development code will have difficulties with non-Basic Multi-Plane characters e. g. Oh bu***r the forum throws an error when I try to post a message containing such characters and other things such as combining diacriticals}.

Although each line may get wrapped if it exceeds the given limit, if there are several such lines in succession they are each considered and wrapped individually which may not be quite what users expect. Of course any simple fix to reflow the wrapped around text is probably going to break something for some existing scripts so it may not be that simple a job. In your case where you say the first line is indented - was it indented by you putting spaces in (or did it come from the MUD server with them) because the "wrapping" action seems to justifiable only kick in if an individual line exceeds the given limit and THEN it is wrapped on its own. From what I recall either the start of the original line would be left flush and the portion that was wrapped around was indented by the given amount or visa-verse (I cannot remember which) but the next line of the original text was then treated so it too either started left flush and the "overflow" was indented (or the opposite way around). I.e.:

Code: Select all

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut 
labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut 
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum 
dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia 
deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
would get converted to something like:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed
     do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut 
labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam,
     quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut 
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
     reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum 
dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
     cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia 
or like:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed
do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut
     labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam,
quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut 
     aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum
     dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia
Neither of which may be quite what you were expecting...!