MXP

xtian

Re: MXP

Post by xtian »

KaVir wrote:
xtian wrote:version 1.2 added out-of-band transport over telnet subchannels.
Do any clients other than CMUD support that though?
Not to my knowledge. It is still a fairly new addition and was added (on my request, btw) just before ATCP became widely accepted (on the client-front) an work on GMCP started. So now everybody is concentrating on that.
But I still feel, it should have been added much sooner ;) it would have helped adoption of the standard.
MUSHclient supports MXP 0.5, which covers the essentials without becoming overly complex. I think it would make sense to aim for the same feature set for Mudlet.
I concur. More than that is just sugar on top ...

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

xtian wrote:
KaVir wrote:Do any clients other than CMUD support that though?
Not to my knowledge. It is still a fairly new addition and was added (on my request, btw) just before ATCP became widely accepted (on the client-front) an work on GMCP started. So now everybody is concentrating on that.But I still feel, it should have been added much sooner ;) it would have helped adoption of the standard.
Ah fair enough, I hadn't realised that. If it had come out before ATCP then I agree it could have taken off, but when it was added later it just looked like MXP was trying to pull a "me too" and join in the cool OOB action.

But now you support ATCP, are you still planning to use the OOB MXP?

xtian

Post by xtian »

KaVir wrote: But now you support ATCP, are you still planning to use the OOB MXP?
I already do. The advantage is that ATCP still needs special parsing on the client-side (plugins!) and with MXP (MXP-OOB) I can write to the client-side stored MXP-variable. And CMUD can directly display a MXP gauge for that variable. It works out-of-the-box, without additional plugins.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

xtian wrote:I already do. The advantage is that ATCP still needs special parsing on the client-side (plugins!) and with MXP (MXP-OOB) I can write to the client-side stored MXP-variable. And CMUD can directly display a MXP gauge for that variable. It works out-of-the-box, without additional plugins.
Hmmm that's a very interesting point. Only 2.4% of my active players use CMUD (and I don't own a copy myself) so it's not something I ever bothered with. But I do offer VT100 gauges for much the same reason (no plugin needed), and have also considered the idea of a generic GUI that can be customised by the server - which I guess MXP can already do to some degree.

However I think the automatic GUI downloader/installer discussed here would be even better still.