tt or zmud libraries?

Nyyrazzilyss

tt or zmud libraries?

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Hi,

I've mud'd for a long time, and used Tinyfugue and CMUD. I'm in the process of switching to mudlet.

One of the first things I noticed is it very much seems to be programmer oriented. That's not an issue, and that it can potentially do things is more important then it doing it right away is more important to me anyways.

However... I don't want to spend hours writing something that's already been done. Is there a library of aliases to replicate tintin/zmud commands (for example, "#alias", or ".dirs", etc), or perhaps the cmud mapper available?

I did a speedwalk alias earlier today (".") from what I could find searching and some minor adjustments to it. It matches what cmud does now by default, and wasn't that hard to setup, but there's lots of commands... Did someone perhaps already do this (assemble a library of them)?

The cmud mapper is another. I like the gui on it, it's really good for adding/deleting/moving rooms/etc, and my existing map has >100k rooms in it. Ignoring my existing map, is there any type of gui available to give the same capabilities that I can just import? Again I like that the functions to do so (build the map) are available, but I don't want to write it if I can avoid it.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: tt or zmud libraries?

Post by SlySven »

How does CMUD store it's map data, an Access (or Jet) Database isn't it (or was that ZMUD) - is there a way to extract the map data as a XML file. Mudlet's does have an XML map import function but it is limited in the data that it uses and the data types and items that it and Zuggsoft's creations store do differ many ways and the data wrangling need to reformat one clients data to the type the other will accept could be significant.

It might be useful to extend the map import (and I guess export) facilities to expose more of the data that Mudlet keeps about it's maps so that you may save/load in either a binary format (that Mudlet currently uses: +ve-features: faster and smaller than alternative; -ve-features: not human readable, has evolved over time so although new version can read old map file the reverse is not true) or an XML format (+ve-features: open format that other applications and humans could read AND edit/correct/break(!) as needed; -ve-features: files sizes will be much larger and probably slower to parse, though compression may help with the first of those, less secure if there are portions of a shared map that are not wanted to be disclosed generally {hidden clan specific areas in some Muds})

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

CMUD data is in an sqlite database. I did see a script for importing the data from the file, though when I tried using it I never really saw anything from it. I would guess that being more related however to my not having anything installed to build/display the map from the data (Or just not using it properly). The data itself I can deal with at a later point, I guess the map related question was more whether there's any map gui's around similar to a cmud style mapper?

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

After a couple days of poking around with mudlet, the answer to my question is mostly it doesn't matter.

The majority of what cmud was doing was because i'd written scripts to make it do that, and other then a few small items (for example, . for speedwalk) not directly client related. Eventually i'll have to take a second look at making the mapper work the same for me, but there's many other things I need to setup first.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Having also done some things with the TinTin++ code I know the map file format THAT uses - apart from some header data the main part of the file is lines of, per room, data fields using '{'...'}' delimiters with a fixed field order followed by exits data with similarly delimited fields, with a blank line between successive rooms.

The awkward thing between that and Mudlet is that TinTin++ map uses "relative" room placement when drawing maps - it draws the players/current room in the middle of the screen and then draws the rooms (at least those in the same XY-plane) in the position the normal exit direction gives them (no 'in' or 'out' normal exits) then adds the rooms that like to those rooms and then... so on. This means that unless the map creator has used "void" rooms (basically dummy rooms with a pair of bi-directional exits that - for the "ASCII" 3x5 character cell room Map at least, collapse down to a "line") to space rooms out with, the arrangement of rooms gets decidedly dynamic as the user moves through the rooms!