HTML Logging in Mudlet

Chamenas

HTML Logging in Mudlet

Post by Chamenas »

Does anyone use this regularly? I've tried it once and was almost immediately turned off by a few things that stood out quite prominently.

The issues I ran into:
Blank lines didn't log over. I couldn't see separate combat rounds because the MUD only used one line break per line, allowing none of the natural blank spaces through.

The HTML file is all on one line, which makes it a ridiculous pain to edit after the fact.

To my knowledge, there are no writelog() or gaglog() functions, both of which would be incredibly useful.

However, there's a lot to Mudlet I don't know and I could be missing some important things that would help with the quality of the logging.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: HTML Logging in Mudlet

Post by SlySven »

There are some known issues with the current HTML logging code - and I've got a pair of pull requests in the pipeline 208 and 209 that should address most of your issues - and it will not be all on one line so hand editing should be much easier. It will also be HTML 4.01 strict compliant. I also have workable plans to make better use of CSS so that the resulting files are more compact - one sample I did went from 1.7MB to 0.95MB for a hour or so's logging. Also, by using "div" tags around the content it should be trivially easy to stitch together multiple clipboard "copyToHTML" grabs. You ought to see the basic improved stuff in the next "3.0.0 preview" after "gamma" which I'd guess will be "delta" - though with recent real life events in France I'd suggest "charlie" :(

Chamenas

Re: HTML Logging in Mudlet

Post by Chamenas »

Jor'Mox and I have managed to put together a fair logging script of our own based on his PNP framework for the game, Dark and Shattered Lands. It's doing reasonably well and has some neat features, including being able to gag things from the log that still show on the display.