encryption

Silvine

encryption

Post by Silvine »

Just a thought but it's got me interested. Is there a way to keep your comms secure, simply? Can you secure your comms to be 'not worth the effort' to decipher, rather than impossible? The max length of a tell is say 320 chars or so and restricted to alphanumeric. Immo's can be a little too curious with no foundation. We don't object to our actions being snooped but don't understand why our comm's should be. This could get some interesting responses...
Mapper of Bedlam

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: encryption

Post by SlySven »

Use Out of Band comms! It is on a back burner but I want to incorporate MMCP {Mud Master Chat Protocol} support into Mudlet though the only reference code sample I have is indeed the TinTin++ code that only supports IPv4. IRC is another especially as it is already included in Mudlet - you don't have to use a public channel - though actually letting your friends and enemies know where and how to "back-chat" (my guess at one possible word for it) with you without letting on to immortals - well there's the thing.

However one note of caution and an all too real-life genuine reason for immortals to snoop on inter-play communications is: to protect themselves and players from low-lifes who not only breech game-play rules but in fact commit actions that have real-life legal consequences, including such areas as on-line bullying / threatening behaviour / or harassment in all it's many flavours, and I leave it to your imagination as to other harmful things that do nothing to enhance MUDding in its rich and varied form. You thus should also remember that logs of comms traffic do and have been evidence in actual prosecutions and that such logging does offer some protection against things that no right minded person should condone.

So have fun out there - but be safe doing so...

bodach

Post by bodach »

can shift each letter x amount of positions and have the recipent shift them back, could change the shifts every hour to make it more confusing

can add base64 on top of that

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

I did this with IRC and AES. Was a fun little project though it did require I almost entirely rewrote the Mudlet-side IRC functions so that the client would connect to an IRCd of my choice. There's even a ported (and working) AESLua function set on these forums somewhere that somebody posted and which might help you some.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I did something that might be considered to be a rather complex hand cypher, though I had to write my own math functions, because doing the mathematical transform in the middle required the ability to work with very large numbers without losing significant digits.