Mudlet remote access?

Ephemeralis

Mudlet remote access?

Post by Ephemeralis »

Hi,

I'm an Australian player and have a generally high latency (210ms) that is fairly inhibitory for some aspects of the MUD that I play, Achaea. A friend of mine has an external curing system that she connects mudlet to, which I thought was a fantastic idea - and this got me thinking..

Is there any way to run mudlet's lua engine in a daemon-esque mode? What I am envisioning is running mudlet-remote to connect to the MUD on an external server box located closer to the actual game servers, which would then have curing/latency sensitive triggers loaded into the engine. It would then forward the game prompt/content to the client normally, except that my client would contain no curing triggers as this would all be handled on the remote end.

Is this possible under mudlet currently, or is it something I would need to request/code myself? There's a few limitations with the concept, but getting significantly faster curing seems like it may be worth the effort.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Re: Mudlet remote access?

Post by phasma »

At this stage, sadly, that's rather prohibitive. There are a couple of options, but none are really good enough.

210 isn't so bad, though.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It is not possible at the moment, but feel free to give it a go at making this happen. I'd be personally interested in using it myself.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Just a thought, beware of doing this on a MUD server that prohibits multi-playing - because if more than one person starts doing this from the same server "proxy" mudlet daemon the server's IP tracker would notice and react accordingly. I suspect WoTMUD would have issues with this and I doubt that it would be the only one.

Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Ah, the idea is not for a squid-like proxy server perse, but more of a client-to-client peering that essentially allows you to offload some of the lua engine triggering to a low-latency client that receives the lines at a speed quicker than that of the end-client, and forwards them across an SSH tunnel or something to the end client which displays them as normal.

Basically:

(SERVER) <- mudlet daemon mode (with curing triggers) <<< TUNNEL <<< desktop client (with clientside triggers)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah. It's a proven method that works with the Mudbot.

Please post development updates often, so we can comment on them and have the least amount of surprises when it comes to integration :)

phasma

Post by phasma »

I'd have concerns about using SSH for this if it ever did come to fruition. Any possible benefits gained would be lost in the SSH overheads, I suspect.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Why do you think so? Have numbers?

phasma

Post by phasma »

Numbers are hardly needed, heh. It's common knowledge that SSH has massive overheads compared to telnet.

Just Google for 'ssh overheads' heh.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well... no, show relevant numbers to our use case. I saw one 500mb benchmark and that's fairly irrelevant as we are transferring bits of text here, not huge data files.