Room movement animation?

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Nyyrazzilyss

Room movement animation?

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

I'm guessing this would be a request rather then a how do i question.

I just followed someone for a bit on an xp loop through a city while I was working with the mapper.

There would be obvious issues with the speed of it/speedwalking, but any thoughts of (when room changes from one room to the room beside it) moving (sliding) the highlighted room along the path between them, rather then just from one room to the next one?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Room movement animation?

Post by SlySven »

On the 2D or 3D map? What happens on an area boundary? What about custom exit lines? Special exits, on 2D maps what about when the Z-coordinate value changes?

You do have the highlightRoom() and unHighlightRoom() commands and you can change the style and colour of the highlighting for each room individually - possibly you could animate a throbbing circular ring around the two rooms, one getting smaller and the other larger for the start and end rooms. I actually use this sort of command to highlight paths (just store the speedWalkPath table at the start so you know which rooms to reset afterwards).

We do not provide anything to highlight exits but the lua command that draws custom exit lines on the 2D map can also take a destination room as an argument instead of a set of coordinates and it than draws a straight line from the room where the exit starts to the XY coordinates of the destination - even if it is NOT in the same area or on the same Z coordinate and you could temporarily overwrite a normal one with a custom one and then erase the latter...

Akaya

Post by Akaya »

IRE's HTML5 client has a map with animations for room movement. Very slick. I don't know how the Mudlet Mapper handles room movement, but I'm pretty sure the rooms are made with labels. Perhaps the centerview function could be expanded to implement this.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

@Akaya - No the 2D mapper uses a QPainter on a QPixmap and the 3D one paints it on (the now obsolete) GLWidget (with some possibly inefficient and antiquated, I suspect, GL version 1.x commands)...

Akaya

Post by Akaya »

Ah. I really need to study up on the Qt docs. Lots of cool stuff there that could possibly be the makings of a great UI :)