New Kid on the block...!

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

New Kid on the block...!

Post by SlySven »

Starmourn_logo_500x350.png
Starmourn_logo_500x350.png (72.6 KiB) Viewed 30008 times
Monitoring other Forums I have just become aware that the 800 lbs Gorilla in MUDs that is IRE (Iron Realms Entertainment) has announced a sixth MUD under development/due for release - it is a SciFi based one and is to be called (capitalisation to be confirmed) StarMourn

Given. at least Vadim's interest in IRE's MUDs. I guess someone will be getting around to adding a new predefined MUD icon in the connection profile dialogue... :lol:

Caled

can we display space better using mudlet?

Post by Caled »

They've released a video showing space flight in action:
http://forums.starmourn.com/discussion/ ... ace-flight

Obviously there is still a lot of information missing that we won't know before release, but I had a thought, and a question for people with more detailed understanding of Mudlet's internal workings.

The ascii rendition of space doesn't display the 'rooms'. Instead, the existence of an endless grid of rooms is implied, and only the boundaries (planets, stars etc) are displayed. This is the inverse to how maps are usually displayed by the mapper, which shows the rooms and links, and the 'boundaries' are just anywhere there is no room.

Despite that, the map window is capable of displaying images, in a way that a miniconsole is not. (It's not, right?)

Is it feasible to create mudlet functions that would allow us to write scripts that parse the ascii rendition of space, and display it in the map window with images of planets etc in place of the ascii art?

Vadi

Re: New Kid on the block...!

Post by Vadi »

I think you can do that already given the mappers API, to be honest. Try experimenting with this by using the wilderness as space?

Now would be a good time to do it so we'd see if anything needs to be improved in Mudlet.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Given that they are rendering space as a grid of ASCII characters, it certainly seems plausible to represent it on a map, or even on a label. That said, assuming their claim of space being 20,000 by 20,000 rooms (400,000,000 or so total rooms), and that the number of rooms moved per "step" will vary based on ship and percentage of max velocity, trying to keep up shifting that all around, with attached graphics over the various interstellar objects, could get tricky. Would be interesting to see attempted though.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

The gridmode was originally a special mode that also cached the map as a graphic so it could be redrawn faster but that part of the code has, I think, fallen out of use. However it will be faster as it does not attempt the work to draw the exits so there is less code to run during the map redrawing process for both 2 and 3D maps...

Caled

Post by Caled »

I've been assuming the 400 million rooms too many to actually map. After release it may be feasible to map systems as areas and ignore the bits in between, but for now I'm working on the concept that keeping a map will not be possible.

Even with grid mode - 20000x20000 even at one pixel per room, is a 400mp image. 400!

And there would need to be more than one pixel per room.

I was more thinking along the lines of rendering the ascii map in the map window and discarding it in between refreshes.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well, you won't be showing it all at once - I think it mostly matters what is displayed. That will be a pretty huge map though if it really is that big.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

From real life Map code stress testing a 2 Million room map Ssaliss' Aetherspace map {280 MBytes} needs at least 4GB for the Mudlet application to run and it is not very quick to load or draw... So a 400 Million room is just too big I think.