Spam.

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Re: Spam.

Post by Vadi »

Spambots are still registering, but the manual approval of posts is working - somewhat. I'm not letting spambots through, but it is confusing legitimate users. Here a real user posted thrice... obviously the usability of the forums in this regard sucks, and they don't realize that they need to wait after posting.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

So, can we not put up a simple notice of some kind at the top of the forum to at least help out?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

At the top of the forum? That would annoy everyone. Ideally, we would be able to display at registration stage. I'm not sure we can do that.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

Just get Dem to hack it into the 'confirmed registration' page. It's just a text file containing the text for this forum software, iirc.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

That's not maintainable, it'd need to be done every time we update. We also wouldn't be able to change the text very easily.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm leaving for the long weekend here, so if any other admins could work on approving new users posts, that'd be great.

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

Vadi wrote:Ideally, we would be able to display at registration stage. I'm not sure we can do that.
Maybe have a message at the "writing post" or "post written" pages for new users?

Also add a "forum rules" sticky thread, which will ask new users not to double-post. Example for comparison.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't ever tend to read the forum rules or the even "READ ME FIRST". I think I only read them after I fail to post. Which would still make people double-post...

Something on the writing post stage would be nice. I'm not certain if this software supports inserting a message in there though without hacking up the sources (and then this having to maintain this hack throughout upgrades).