Qt on Android

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Qt on Android

Post by Vadi »

http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/ ... hmm ... I think I'll be checking it out in the coming days to see how much of the SDK they ported.

Who knows, maybe we could make a mini-Mudlet for android :D

(there is an iPhone effort as well, but frankly - with all the crap Apple's been doing to "non-pure" developers, I don't even want to start bothering about it...)

tsuujin

Re: Qt on Android

Post by tsuujin »

awesome.

naftali

Post by naftali »

Agreed about the iphone. Mini mudlet on Android would lead to so much auto-ing while only barely there...

Caled

Post by Caled »

Vadi wrote:http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/ ... hmm ... I think I'll be checking it out in the coming days to see how much of the SDK they ported.

Who knows, maybe we could make a mini-Mudlet for android :D

(there is an iPhone effort as well, but frankly - with all the crap Apple's been doing to "non-pure" developers, I don't even want to start bothering about it...)
I've played around with my boss's ipad a fair bit. It is a nice way to browse, take notes etc, but couldn't do enough for me personally, for me to buy one. (To buy one, I would need to be able to replace my existing ageing laptop with a desktop+ipad combination - unfortunately, I need/want to be able to more while mobile than the ipad can do, at least at the moment).

The upcoming ipad competitors will supposedly run versions of android.
(They will eventually also have the features I need as well, like usb ports).

I know you were talking about android phones, but if mudlet could be compiled for android, it would give these slate-pad-tabletey-whatevers (what do we call them?) a pretty powerful telnet client (useful for mudding and work). Plus, I'd love to see how different mudding could be with loads of scripting and a touch screen. Done well enough and the only time you should need to type is for communication.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah heard about the Android tablets as well. Pretty exciting.

I saw a Starcraft on Linux w/ multitouch monitor the other way, it looks pretty sweet. I imagine combat wouldn't be hard if you made buttons for everything, perhaps even easier since you can poke things faster than type out even the most minimal aliases, one at a time.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Yeah. Easier too with attacks that require a lot of different combinations. Directional attacks for example. I script things with my macros, for example to shoot someone to the east with a curare arrow, I hit F5 (shoot), 'C' (sets nextvenom variable to 'curare'), and then '6' on the numpad (sets 'nextdir' variable to 'east').

The whole process queues my next attack, but it would be done more smoothly on a touch screen with buttons. Hitting shoot would hide the other buttons and display the choice of venoms and directions, which would disappear once touched and/or after a few seconds.

Caled

Post by Caled »

http://www.saurik.com/id/10

^ Debian installed side by side on android phone

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Whoa well that's overkill. Must be as slow as a snail as well.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:Whoa well that's overkill. Must be as slow as a snail as well.
Maybe on the Nexus or Evo it wouldn't be so slow. 1gzh should be plenty fast enough for a minimal debian install.

Although, I don't really see the point. Without a keyboard, why bother?

Caled

Post by Caled »

Vadi wrote:http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/ ... hmm ... I think I'll be checking it out in the coming days to see how much of the SDK they ported.
Check it out again now.
I had a quick read and it looks like it is operational, but finicky depending on the version of android you're trying to use it with.

Hopefully by the time there is a decent choice of android tablets on the market it is more solid. I'm getting tired of lugging my laptop to work every day; 2.5kg is almost 2kg too much imo, and I'm still really keen to see a full touch screen interface. I've done some rough sketches of how I'll write my system if we ever get android-mudlet on tablets. Maybe I'll post them sometime.