Animations

Geyser is an object oriented framework for creating, updating and organizing GUI elements within Mudlet.
Vadi

Animations

Post by Vadi »

I'm wondering if there's any interest in having Geyser support animations as well?

I sort of already started, see http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... tion#p2707. Just a demo right now which I'll eventually turn into a moving gauge for my Lusternian Mudlet system, the demo shows several possible ways to do it - of which I think a permTimer that is enabled/disabled is best as that has the least CPU usage (other methods include chaining tempTimers or creating all tempTimers necessary, one for each frame, at start).

So, if animations are a go, that'd be a rather large topic and would definitely improve the quality of uis.

Vadi

Re: Animations

Post by Vadi »

I've also remembered that Qt 4.6 touted an animations framework: http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6-snapshot/qt ... -framework

Maybe that could be evaluated, but that'd require Lua bindings for those functions.

Nebeu

Post by Nebeu »

I'm intrigued. How would I go about writing Lua bindings for this? And would it require I build Mudlet myself or is it something I can manage without. I think it goes without saying I'm fairly new to this, but I'd really enjoy something more to work on/learn.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

We're on Qt5 now which has QML - it's a big effort though to architecturally fit it within Mudlet and a QWidgets-based app. Would be a fun thing to do though and if you succeed, Mudlet would really benefit.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Isn't the QT QTimeLine Class something which might have some use here - I recall finding it in passing and wondering whether it could be utilised in a new "Replay" engine that could be wound back, paused or looped for script testing amongst other things...